Home » About Us Opportunities
- Data Collector Positions (posted 4/11/17)
- Data Quality Control Positions (posted 4/11/17)
- Transportation Planner/Engineer (posted 8/16/16)
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is seeking part-time data collection staff. The position of Data Collector involves various types of data collection activities, including the following:
- Counting passengers as they board and alight from MBTA vehicles
- Counting the number of passengers aboard a vehicle at a transit stop or station
- Interviewing passengers to determine their trip origins and destinations
- Counting parking spaces and parking utilization
- Tallying use of fare payment types onboard buses and light rail vehicles
Work assignments range from three to six hours long and some include early morning or late night hours. Data Collectors may work on as many assignments as they would like, up to a maximum of 40 hours per week; the number of available hours varies from week to week. Applicants must have access to a cellphone and, preferably, a car. Knowledge of local geography and the MBTA system is also desirable.
Data Collectors are expected to be competent, reliable, and able to work independently.
The position is open immediately.
The pay rate is $13.00 per hour.
All applicants must present government-issued picture identification (such as a driver's license, passport, military identification, or green card).
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) is seeking temporary staff to perform quality control on entered survey data. Attention to detail and basic Excel skills are required.
The position is open immediately and will last two to three weeks. Workloads are flexible up to a maximum of 40 hours per week. A commitment to at least 20 hours per week is preferred.
The pay rate is $13.00 per hour.
All applicants must present government-issued picture identification (such as a driver’s license, passport, military identification, or green card).
The Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) is seeking a transportation planner/engineer to work with similar professionals in the Traffic Analysis and Design Group. The selected candidate will work on studies that typically include tasks related to traffic data collection and analysis, intersection evaluation and conceptual design, transportation planning and modeling, congestion, access, safety management, traffic impact reviews, and pedestrian and bicycle transportation assessments.
The qualified candidate must have:
- An advanced degree in transportation planning, urban and regional planning, or traffic engineering with at least two years of professional experience
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with quantitative software packages (Excel or SPSS)
- Familiarity with one or more traffic analysis programs (Synchro or HCS)
- Knowledge of ArcGIS
- Ability to work with large databases and datasets
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Intellectual curiosity
- Familiarity with the Boston metropolitan region
Skills in the following areas are desirable, but not required:
- Experience in a transportation-planning field
- Knowledge of statistical methods
- Expertise in economic impact assessments
- Knowledge of air quality modeling and analysis
- Familiarity with noise analysis
All candidates must have a valid driver’s license and/or the ability to arrange transportation to meetings in different parts of the region.
Our office is friendly, diverse, and professional. Salary contingent upon qualifications; excellent employee benefits package. All candidates must have legal authorization (citizenship or visa) to work in the USA. The Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) is CTPS’ fiduciary agent and legally employs its staff. MAPC/CTPS is an EOE/AA employer which takes pride in the diversity of its workforce and encourages all qualified persons to apply.
Respond with resume and cover letter to:
State Transportation Building
10 Park Plaza, Suite 2150
Boston, MA 02116-3968
(617) 570-9192 (fax)